We’ve been talking recently on our rented property blog at City Rental Services about considerations for Bristol students preparing for the big annual move out of rented student accommodation in BS postcodes.
And this week, we’re focusing on things to do when you leave your student property in Bristol to ensure that a messy house doesn’t cause a dent in the return of your rental deposit.
As a leading provider of rented student accommodation in Bristol, we deal with 100’s of student tenants every year, and here’s a few key things to remember before you hand your keys back to a student landlord or letting agency at the end of this academic year:
* At least 5 days before moving out – defrost the fridge freezer and clean the entire property.
* Collect post forwarding addresses and/or address changes for all co-tenants.
* Make an appointment to give keys and forwarding addresses to landlord.
* Clear all rubbish and recycling, including visiting local tips with all items.
* Make a plan with your co-tenants – who is doing what, such as cleaning, notifying utilities companies, clearing rubbish, replacing furniture, checking all property inventories, ensuring that all rent has been paid, and checking where all co-tenants are going at the end of the year.
* Tell your landlord if anything is broken and be upfront – this saves time in dealing with the rental deposits in the long run.
* So, if there are six student tenants in the rented property this means six cleaned bedrooms and all communal areas should be spotlessly tidy.
* If there are any issues, speak to the landlord immediately, and remember that a new set of student tenants are waiting to move into your rented property.
If you’d like to find out more about our central Bristol lettings agency, please feel free to get in touch here.